A significant and growing benefit of PoE is the deployment of Wi-Fi access points. These devices are often placed in locations where it would be difficult to extend traditional power lines; for example behind ceiling panels. The increase in wireless in buildings, offices and places like sports stadiums drives the need for PoE. PoE makes wireless deployment much more tangible.
While marketing efforts supporting the deployment of IoT may give the impression that it will be deployed universally in a very short period of time, concerns about security, operational features, device interfaces, vulnerabilities to unscrupulous business practices and the deployment of universal communication protocols will mitigate the impact. However, the opportunity to generate revenue as well as the potential for improving operations and the human experience of our built environment are too great to ignore. For these reasons, the IoT will eventually be present in lighting and everyday life, like and in concert with smart phones, now accepted as necessary.
Benefits of dedicated POE power for luminaires
LED luminaires require a much lower amount of energy for the same amount of light than conventional luminaires . This alone is a huge gain The light automatically turns on when needed and turns off again when the last person leaves the room.. A reduction in electricity consumption related to lighting of 70% is realistic,compared to older generation lighting.
Automatically optimized PoE lighting
Lighting management via the data network , allows simplified lighting automation. The problem of employees forgetting to turn off the light after work is now a thing of the past. Management via the data network can do much more: the contribution of external and natural light , allows the LED lighting to adapt to reach the desired level of brightness at any time and instantly. The logged value can be specified individually for each zone and for each workstation
Benefits of PoE-Based Lighting
- The use of Power-over-Ethernet and LED luminaires significantly reduces the energy required for lighting
- Unlike other “smart solutions”, a high level of security is ensured, as all communications are encrypted and secured, via standard IT mechanisms
- The system is built in low voltage only . Thus, it is not necessary to call on a certified or authorized electrician for installation and maintenance (cost reduction)
- Easy and economical installation compared to traditional electrical work – reduced labor costs
- Lighting is automated. Only the useful light is consumed, at any time and at any place in the building.
- The lighting is part of the existing IP network . No new cabling or central distribution room is needed, network and lighting use the same Ethernet cabling .
- Globally,this solution is part of the reduction in the number of materials , generating savings in space and components
- Lighting focused on humans (Human Centric Lighting) and its uses, is put in place, in order to increase the comfort and productivity of employees
- No limitation to a specific lighting manufacturer, all lighting brands can be integrated
Benefits of Power over Ethernet or PoE
- The main idea of PoE was to eliminate the need to install electrical outlets. Especially in remote or hard-to-reach places. Power over Ethernet also promised to:
- Reduce deployment costs.
- Reduce the need for power adapters.
- Simplify installation by allowing customers to use a single Cat5/5e/6 cable for data and power.
- Provide customers with centralized power backup and management.
- Enable the reuse of copper from existing telephone networks.
- Allow PoE devices to move without the network experiencing downtime.
- Power over Ethernet and energy saving
Power saving is an important part of PoE. But the standard is really about energy efficiency because it uses all 4 pairs of Cat 5 Ethernet cables; whereas previous versions of the standard used two. The latest standard maintains a power-signature level that allows lighting or IoT applications to be powered by PoE. Also, they allow to have acceptable performance in standby when necessary. Another benefit is that PoE, combined with analysis software, can allow facility management teams to determine which areas of buildings are unoccupied and save electricity by remotely turning off lights and appliances.
Smart lighting via PoE
LED luminaires require significantly less effort during installation, maintenance and operation. This interoperable and sustainable investment generates a drastic reduction in energy consumption and CO2 emissions compared to conventional lighting systems.This performance cannot be achieved with a conventional lighting solution. Investors and building operators benefit from significantly reduced costs , both during installation and commissioning. PoE lighting is a key point of the IoT , and revolves around a universal platform for all new sensor technologies and data collection in smart buildings .